Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 wrap-up!


Hard to believe another year has almost passed and we're ready to say goodbye to 2010! I always feel a little nostalgic at New Years, thinking about the past year and all that has happened, but I also feel excitement and anticipation of what 2011 will bring. Racing and training is my passion and I will continue to do so as long as it's still fun....I mean, let's face it, there's nothing better than beating yourself up and crossing a finish line totally spent....




As the year has come to a close and I've been enjoying several weeks of downtime since the world championships in early November, I've had some time to do a little thinking and one of my goals for 2011 is to incorproate a little more balance into my life. I feel so fortunate to have a healthy body and to have the ability to run the miles I have run this year and for the past 14 years since those early days in 1996 with my beginners running group. (I'm really dating myself now, aren't I??!) I have been enjoying my off season since World champs in early November and realized I havn't taken the time to do this for a few years and how much it is needed to recharge and allow your body and mind to regenerate. I have been enjoying running for the past several weeks with no agenda or focus other than simply feeling the ground (snow/ice) beneath my feet, feeling my heart pumping, lungs filling and muscles contracting and releasing for the simple joy of being physical.

In looking back at my adventure racing/running career over the past 10 years, I realize I've been so fortunate with my health and injuries (believe me, I'm touching wood), especially considering the rather bizarre, crazy, insane things we put our bodies through with adventure racing. So., I'm counting my blessing and heading down to the basement to do a little yoga this morning - yes, you read it correctly the Y word....and I'm going to be patient with the fact that while I can barely touch my toes....it's kind of like it's 1996 and I'm setting out for my first 3km run...=)

p.s Check out my article in Canadian Runner, "On the Run in...Whitehorse at http://www.runningmagazine.ca/




1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog... and I'll be back (assuming you post once in a while)! After I finished the Zumbro 100, I said I was doing all the 100's in reverse alphabetical order, then I saw that that meant Yukon was next; I may live in what most consider tundra, but THAT's one tough race. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete